Launching an Etsy shop is an exciting venture, but as your business evolves, so might your vision for your brand. Whether you’re rebranding or just seeking a fresh start, you might need to change your Etsy shop name. Fortunately, Etsy allows sellers to change to their shop name on the platform and it’s a straightforward process that allows you to align your storefront with your evolving identity. In this blog, we’ll tell you how you can change your Etsy shop name, along with essential details and considerations to keep in mind. So let’s begin.
How to Change Your Etsy Shop Name?
Before officially opening your shop, you have the flexibility to change your name as often as you like. However, once your shop is open, you need to follow these steps to update your shop name:
- Open your Etsy seller account and go to Shop Manager.
- Navigate to Settings.
- Select Info & Appearance.
- Click Change next to Shop Name.
- Enter your new shop name.
- Save your changes.
It’s worth noting that capitalizing letters in your shop name can help distinguish separate words. Moreover, the name you select will become an integral part of your shop URL, appearing as either etsy.com/shop/shopname or shopname.etsy.com.
Things You Should Know Before Changing Your Shop Name on Etsy
- Shop URL Update: Your shop URL will reflect the new name, and links to your previous shop name will automatically redirect to the updated one.
- Prevent Others from Using the Previous Name: Changing your shop name ensures that other sellers cannot use your previous shop name.
- Display Icon for 45 Days: An icon will be displayed next to your shop name on shop pages, your shop profile, and shop search results for 45 days after the change. This informs buyers that your shop name has recently changed.
- Update Other Shop Content: After changing your shop name, it’s crucial to update any content that may reference the old name, such as your shop icon, shop banner, shop announcement, or your About section.
How to Check If an Etsy Shop Name is Available?
Ensuring that your desired shop name is available is a crucial step in the renaming process. Here’s how you can verify its availability:
- Used Shop Names: Once a shop name has been used on an open shop, it cannot be reused, even if the shop it’s connected to is closed.
- Unavailable Search Results: Names used as usernames or on closed shops will not appear in search results.
- No Cross-Account Usage: You cannot use a shop name that was previously used on another account, even if that account is closed. Instead, consider reopening your shop.
Changing your Etsy shop name is a simple yet impactful way to align your online shop with your brand identity. Following the outlined steps ensures a smooth transition, allowing you to keep your shop’s online presence updated and reflective of your business vision.
Whether you’re rebranding or just seeking a change, remember to consider the implications, update associated content, and make the most out of Etsy’s user-friendly platform to foster the growth of your online business.